Saturday 13 February 2010

Wheat Free Yorkshire Puddings!

I am well known for my huge Yorkshire puddings, made the Pampered Chef way they never fail to rise. So when I was asked if I had ever tried wheat free ones using the same Pampered Chef recipe, I was up for the challenge.  I used Dove's wheat free flour with pretty good results!
I followed my trusted Pampered Chef recipe.

1 cup of Plain flour
1 cup of Milk
2 eggs
Salt and Pepper
Cooked them in the Pampered Chef 6 cup muffin pan at 220c for 30 minutes and  here are the results...

 
Although not a patch on the wheat variety which a huge, these ones rose quite well considering they were wheat free. they were nicely browned and because of cooking them in the stoneware they stayed nice and crisp and not at all greasy! Not sure if you know this but with stoneware we don't preheat and once the pan is seasoned we don't need to oil or greasy it....just cook!!


With my regular puds, I tend to cook them 30 minutes for those in the family who like them stodgy, and 35 minutes for the second batch for those like me who prefer them to be light, fluffy and airy. I don't think these ones would have managed another 5 minutes in the oven as they were nice a crispy on the outside but I felt a little heavy  and doughy for my taste, so next time I will add a teaspoon of baking powder and see if that helps lift them to light and fluffy. Although with a dinner and gravy these would be perfect just the way they are. 
Do let me know if you try this recipe, especially if you edit it in anyway, I can then pass it on...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've just had these with my dinner - thanks for the recipe they were yummy :-D and there's some left over mmm!

You're right, they are a little heavy but I haven't had Yorkshire puds in so long they tasted like heaven

Thanks !

- Jane